I love salads and making a salad for dinner is my idea of good eating. However having just a pile of lettuce doesn’t cut it for me. I want to be satisfied by my meal, not snacking again an hour later. That is why I love meaty salads with lots of ingredients. However I also have to be able to make it fast and easy on hurried weeknights. That is why I love this recipe. It originally came from here, but I made a few additions of my own to make it perfect for me and my family.
First I cut up all the vegetables, besides lettuce. I love a variety of veggies so I included two large vine ripened tomatoes, one small red onion, a cup of baby Bella mushrooms, and a whole cucumber.
To that I added half a cup of chopped Kalamata olives. I love Kalamata olives, but if you like a different type of olive any olive works really well in Greek salads. I was supposed to add Feta cheese as well but I totally forgot to! It was still super yummy, so no worries.
I chopped up one third pound of hard salami and added two cups of romaine lettuce. Actually, I just tossed in half a bag of romaine salad mix that had carrots and red cabbage also, but that’s up to you. The salami is a favorite of my family, but if you prefer something leaner like turkey pastrami it would work well too.
While I was cutting the veggies I also boiled a bag of frozen cheese tortellini. You can usually find the frozen pasta near the frozen bread section of the grocery store. It cooks in two minutes, literally! Just drain it, splash in some olive oil and stir to keep it from sticking, and let it cool a bit before you add it to the salad.
Finally I made the super simple dressing. Olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic (mine was from a jar), dried oregano and salt and pepper are mixed together in a small bowl and then poured over the salad. Toss to coat and your meal is ready to eat! It gets even better if you chill it for an hour and let all the flavors mingle a bit.
Easy Tortellini Greek Salad
1 very small red onion or ½ cup red onion
1 cup mushrooms
2 large tomatoes
1/3 pound hard salami (or meat of your choice)
2 cups romaine lettuce
½ cup Kalamata olives (or olive of your choice)
4 ounces Feta cheese (optional)
1 package cheese tortellini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
- First cut up the cucumber, red onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes into bite sized chunks and place in large salad bowl.
- Next lay out the salami into piles of four to five slices and cut into bite sized pieces. Add to mix.
- Add the lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Drain the olives and add to mix.
- Add Feta cheese crumbles if desired.
- Prepare tortellini as instructed on package.
- Drain and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Let cool to room temperature and add to salad.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl mix together olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Add one clove of minced garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir dressing well and pour over salad.
- Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or chill for one hour before serving.
- Salad will last about three days properly stored in refrigerator.